A former eighteenth-century residence built on the ruins of the villa of Emperor Augustus’ adoptive son. The poet Lamartine stayed here in 1820, as did Louis II of Bavaria in 1853, Empress Eugenia, wife of Napoleon III, in 1868, and the Spanish president Castelar in 1875. King Paul of Greece and Victor
Emanuel III both came in the early twentieth century.
Marguerite Yourcenar wrote “Coup de Grace” here in 1938. In an elegant revisited nineteenth-century style and perched above the sea, it contains a wealth of art and antiques, with Roman grottoes and nymphaea on the way down to the beach