A place of excellence in terms of its patrons and meetings, this is the salon of Arezzo. Originally a place for scholars and aristocrats in the meeting room of the Accademia dei Costanti, it opened to the public in 1819. The Grand Duke of Tuscany stopped by in 1843 during a visit to the reclaimed areas in the Val di Chiana, and in 1913 Marinetti sought refuge here from a heckling crowd after a public reading of Futurist poems. The writer Edward M. Forster, bowled over by the beauty of Piero della Francesca’s frescos in the Basilica opposite, came to restore his spirits with a cordial. Once the haunt of D’Annunzio, Piovene and Benedetti Michelangeli, and now wonderfully restored, it was used as a set for the Oscar-winning “Life is Beautiful”.
Piazza San Francesco 19/20, 52100 Arezzo (AR)
- Banca Etruria - Proprietor
||Click on the icon
to view the map