The name comes from the Lombard “begutto” (revelry, gluttony), and a notarial deed on parchment dated 1284, now in the State Archives of Milan, shows how it already existed at the time. In 1400, it became the “Hostaria dei Gamberi”, in 1580 the “Hostaria de Quattro Marie alla Canova”. Until the eighteenth century it was owned by the Luogo Pio delle Quattro Marie charity institution, and then by Count Durin and Marquis Raineri. Legend has it that Napoleon stayed here in 1807, when he proclaimed Francesco Melzi d’Eril Duke of Lodi. The ancient farmhouse look and the historic tavern section with the sixteenth-century fireplace remain unchanged.
Via Vittorini 4, 20138 Milano (MI)
||Click on the icon
to view the map